Friday, July 17, 2009

Re-working

Some things seem to be not ever *done*. I've been re-working an old project into a new bag:

spindle bag

Some of you might remember it was once a hat-that-did-not-fit. Projects like this that don't quite work (and they are legion) sit around until they are either resolved or (sometimes) taken apart. It's kinda-sorta hard to take apart knotted pile, you end up with a small mountain of short-bits of yarn, so knotted pile re-directs (I do not like to say failures)usually become class samples.

This one is becoming a spindle bag. It's open at the top (now) and will hold fiber and spindle for walk-around spinning, which is something I do very rarely! But if called upon.....I am ready. I certainly enjoy the beading and embellishment process: I must have been a crow in an earlier life (or maybe a Central Asian weaver??).

Actually, plans are to call upon this latent spindle spinning skill at the Celtic Faire this October. Spindle spinning just might be what I do as a demo, along with some knotted pile weaving. I rarely appear in public in any kind of costume (well, some people would debate that and say *all* my clothes are costumes....), but for this event, I will show up as a Central Asian weaver/spinner, complete with spindle and loom. After all, that's what we (the local fiber guild members) are there to do: demo, be festive, be a part of the scene.

Re-working is happening on another project:

book title page

Last chance to edit, change, add or subtract before it goes to print. Yay!

10 Comments:

Blogger Freyalyn said...

Scary - last chance and all that.... Knowing any mistake that gets through will be immortalised. Really looking forward to this book - and next July!

12:17 PM  
Blogger Cynthia said...

ooh, exciting!! I can't wait to see the finished book.

5:57 PM  
Blogger Kristine said...

I just saw your book listed in the Interweave catalogue and got very excited. Hooray! Can't wait for it to come out!

8:08 PM  
Blogger Deanna said...

Yeaaa!!! I'm glad it's getting close. I pre-ordered it on amazon.com.
Your spindle spinning demo sounds like fun

7:11 AM  
Blogger Alyclepal said...

I hope you'll include pics of your Central Asian Spinner/Weaver kit:>. I'm actually taking a break from working on a 10th Century Steppe Nomad costume right now and intend to use it with my set up yurt and ground loom to demostrate weaving and spinning later in August. I'm glad I"m not the only person interested in this out and about:>:>:>.

6:07 PM  
Blogger Charleen said...

I'm very interested in seeing the Central Asian Spinner/Weaver costume one wears to a Celtic Faire!

I also have your book on order. I'd say I can't wait for it to arrive but that would mean school was back in session :-)

7:47 PM  
Blogger Ann said...

Yea! I can't wait to see the new book.

9:45 AM  
Blogger Sharon said...

Yipes!!!

6:51 PM  
Blogger Birdsong said...

A spindle bag is a very worthwhile idea, and I look forward to seeing you in costume:)

2:13 PM  
Blogger Marcy said...

YaaaaaY! It's a book! Oh, well done, Sara.

Ya know, you could use that photo of you in the hat as a Ravatar. Just a thought. :D

5:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home