Friday, November 07, 2008

Glove Covers

glove covers2a

One of the yarns I purchased recently is this Icelandic singles from Frelsi Farms in Maine. I wanted to try some Icelandic, and in fact that was all I purchased at Rhinebeck: Icelandic yarns, Icelandic wool to spin, and more Icelandic yarns and some patterns. For this I blame Marcy, again, but that is a post for another day.

I had no plan when I bought these skeins;I just liked the colors. There were sample socks knitted with this yarn in the Frelsi Farm booth so I bought enough for socks. When I got home, I realized I could make glove covers for my plain (store bought) angora/wool blend gloves:

glove covers3a

Details, such as they are, will go into my projects on Ravelry, but basically there is no pattern: cast on 48 stitches (US size 1 needles), knit until it's time to insert a gusset for the thumb, work until they are long enough, cast off, pick up for thumb and ta da: glove covers.

I made a pair of cashmere ones a few years ago, which I wear over my fingerless gloves:

glove covers1a

I wear these while working in the studio in colder weather. My studio is a yurt, and there is a heater, but it takes a while. . . The place is, after all, a glorified tent.

3 ply handspun cashmere, over (purchased) alpaca fingerless gloves:

glove covers4a

I guess having a little bit of stash yarn is a good thing: it certainly is quicker to knit up an idea when the yarns are sitting ready and waiting. Good thing my LYS is expanding (yay!) and just in time for Christmas. The question is: are those yarns that I am buying truly for gift making, or are they merely stash acquisition unchecked? :)

11 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

stash acquisition unchecked? you say that like it is a *bad* thing :-)

if it weren't for all of that above I have I wouldn't now that I am a poor working girl have anything for projects.

and Geoffrey thought it was just ODC!

6:46 PM  
Blogger Charlene said...

Oh yeah, not a knitter, never was a knitter, never will be a knitter, a weaver through and through, oh yeah...

8:51 AM  
Blogger Deanna said...

Stashes are usually in one of several states - active (in use, not growing), fallow (not in use, not growing, just brewing), inactive (not in use, not growing, just gathering dust) and yeehaa (in use and growing.) All are useful and productive stages, except perhaps inactive. We won't even get into the dissolution phase (giving up and giving it all away.)

I love your mitten covers, though it's hard to imagine using them, since we have seldom gotten below 80 degrees lately. Enough of summer already!

9:59 AM  
Blogger Julie said...

What beautiful yarn, love the gloves!

6:38 AM  
Blogger claudia said...

Those glove covers are a neat idea.

8:46 AM  
Blogger Charleen said...

Love the glove covers! Were they at Rhinebeck or one of your many yarn store adventures?

I had to laugh when I saw Deanna's comment - I thought she meant that her stash was so large it needed to be stored in several contiguous states!

5:43 PM  
Blogger Charleen said...

I meant the yarn, not the glove covers :-) I guess preview is a good practice.

5:44 PM  
Blogger Sharon said...

Glove covers are a great idea. I had never thought of them but sure could use them. I know your gloves are handknit but I'm thinking to make covers for those thinsulite (whatever) gloves - my hands freeze while I drive.

11:40 PM  
Blogger Marcy said...

Me? Mine? Again? What'd I do now, other than to extol the virtues of Iceland wool? And suggest you go see the wares of Frelsi Farm and some others? Hey, all I did was point you at the water! :D

5:26 AM  
Blogger Laurie said...

Purpose, as well as beauty, are always in the eye and mind of the beholder.

Nothing wrong with stash. My knitter compatriots have been educating me along those lines. Yes, including Marcy.

8:31 AM  
Blogger Birdsong said...

Absolutely lovely and luxurious... eager to hear more about what you think about Icelandic. I also thought Deanna must live in more than one place... all of my stash fits in one house, though it can get scattered around a lot:) So glad to get to spin together on Sunday.

5:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home