Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Of Two Hands

I wove a second set of handtowels this year, there being a few more recipients than one warp could handle:

towel and hot pad (2)

New Years Day I got back this potholder, made from the thrums of a the last handtowel warp. They look almost like they are made of different threads: the handtowel has a weft (yellow) crossing all the warps, making them appear to be softer colors. The hotpad is just the warp colors. It can be hard to imagine how a warp will look woven, because the weft can change things altogether. Fun though, and sometimes a great surprise.

Lindsey uses cotton thrums (the loom waste, or warp yarns left on the loom after the weaving is done) so I save them for her, little piles of 18" lengths of yarn. She crochets potholders out of them, and then hands them out, we all have them. It's one of the delights of having fiber friends, to get stuff they have made.

Both textiles are useful, colorful, and a pleasure to have and to use, but different, the result of two hands.

6 Comments:

Blogger Laritza said...

I love your colors. The idea to use the thrums is great! I was sooooo hoping you were coming to Utah this year :(

8:53 PM  
Blogger Sharon said...

And looking at those wonderful and unpredictable colors, isn't a dye day coming in the near future?

10:26 PM  
Blogger Tracy said...

Wow. I would never have guessed that the potholder was made with the same yarn. They really look good together.

6:39 AM  
Blogger Charlene said...

There are few things more precious than things handmade by a friend. I know I am loathe to burden the uninformed with the product of my time and hands, but until a few months ago, didn't quite appreciate the sweetness of being on the receiving end.

You and Lindsey are mutually fortunate in their friends.

11:12 AM  
Blogger marchwind said...

Such cheerful colors for the month of January.

I only just learned today what therms were. It is nice to know they have a life after weaving. I definitely will keep this in mind.

4:49 PM  
Blogger bonitapita said...

See, I did think they looked like siblings...same parents but a different arrangement of their DNA. Hee.

Anyway, really nice idea! Does she just knot the 18" pieces together? I have some thrums coming off soon that might be nice to do this with.

12:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home