Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Long and Winding Road

pickup silk band7 blog Sept 2007

This band took several months to weave, a long and winding road, and it was not as smooth a process as I like (read: there was much swearing and gnashing of teeth).

It is a seemingly simple undulating pattern, a short repeat, and color cues to help with remembering where in the pattern I am.

But I just could not learn the pattern, and I had to follow it step by step, pick by pick, for 78 agonizing inches. I kept getting frustrated and abandoning the work, until time and a deadline demanded finishing.

I have my suspicions as to why this occurred, and I will try another version (read: glutton for punishment) to see if I can improve upon the process without sacrificing the look of the weave structure. Details: Treenway's 8/2 tight twist reeled silk, dyed with Lanaset dyes, woven on an inkle loom, in a pickup technique.

It's done now though, packed and ready to go, traveling on another long and winding road for the next few weeks. I am a bad road-blogger, and thus it may seem like I have run away.

I have :). Back soon.

4 Comments:

Blogger Deanna said...

I love the feeling I get when I click on the link to your blog, and a new and unbelievably gorgeous picture pops up on my monitor!

I feel for the tediousness of the process it took to create it, but my oh my, the result is worth it! Did your satisfaction match the effort?

Hope the travel is a delightful adventure, with comfort and unexpected pleasures.

7:50 AM  
Blogger Marie said...

Wow! I love, love, love it!

8:19 AM  
Blogger dragon knitter said...

i still think it's gorgeous. maybe even moreso now tha ti know the blood, sweat and tears (and a few 4 letter words, probably!) that went into it.

i have a proposition for you, if yo wanna email me @ adminnieATlimenvioletDOTcom.

11:25 AM  
Blogger Sharon said...

Clearly the result was worth the punishment. You have a lot of discipline - It's a good thing for the rest of us!

10:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home