Friday, September 07, 2007

Artisan Dyers

Mittens Sept. 2007

I love to dye yarns, fibers, fabric, anything. But I can be tempted by fibers that others have dyed. What fun to spin up something that I didn't mix, stir, heat and serve! There are so many options out there, how to choose?

I like to buy from people I know, which narrows the field somewhat, and makes it easier to resist every pretty fiber that comes down the Internet. These fibers came from three friends, purchased at different times, but (snort) oddly they all go nicely together. It's easy, I say, to put stuff together like this if one is consistent (read obsessed) with a limited range of colors.

I've been knitting mittens, an easy travel project, small and portable. This pattern was adapted from Selbuvotter, adjusted a bit to accommodate my larger gauge. These were knit on US 2's, starting with the lace cuff:

mitten cuffs

This wool is from Anne, at Wooly Wonka Fibers. She dyed some Shetland wool in reds and oranges, which I plied with some solid red that I had dyed.

mittens3 sept 2007

The blue and yellow, also the other red at the finger tips, comes from Steph at Wooly Daisy. I bought this from her at a local spin-in, where resistance was futile. I stayed away from the table for the first few hours, until a nice young woman came up to ask advice on what to buy for her spinner sister (danger, danger Will Rogers). She bought lovely merino from Steph, while I picked up 7 ounces of an unknown wool in three colors: reds, blues and yellows.

I spun up most of this wool that very afternoon. The packets were about an ounce each, which neatly fit onto my bobbins. I plied them by running them into balls later that evening, and plying from both ends.

Now I just needed some orange, and I had some nice yarn spun from batts from Linda, at Grafton Fibers :

Mittens2 Sept 2007

There are several bits of yarn left, ready for the next project:

mitten yarns3

more mittens? a hat? gloves? socks? Perhaps I need to buy more fiber and spin up enough for a shawl?

This way lies madness. We all know. But it's all good.

15 Comments:

Blogger kim said...

A hat, to go with the mittens.

9:04 AM  
Blogger margene said...

The mittens are so inspiring! Love the color duo. You should follow that bit of madness...it would be wonderful to watch you create it.

11:17 AM  
Blogger Sue said...

Will Robinson. Yes, I'm picky.... ;-)

2:05 PM  
Blogger Pam the Yarn Goddess said...

Your color knitting is gorgeous. I love the design, and I'm even more impressed that you do your own wool in addition to buying other peoples'. In short, your work is exquisite.

2:54 PM  
Blogger Sharon said...

Anyone who has seen (heard?) you spin, would not be surprised that you spun all up in one afternoon. I wonder is you've given any thought to harnessing that spinning energy into a secondary turbine affair.

3:06 PM  
Blogger Amy K said...

...two TV science fiction references in one blog. All this and lovely stuff too.

7:07 PM  
Blogger Charleen said...

Little bits leftover so you have to get even more beautiful fiber, it's a viscous cycle isn't it? The mittens are fabulous!

7:52 PM  
Blogger LauraJ said...

"I never met a robot I didn't like."
Your mittens are so beautiful. I envy your color sense; mine needs more exercise.
Incidentally, you, and you alone, have ruined my life. It started with a little packet of silver clay. You had it under control, why not try it? Then more. Then a silver class, then looking at other jewelery classes, chainmail, keum boo, degradation, gutters, my house is too full.

4:49 AM  
Blogger Dropstitchknitter said...

Those mittens are just gorgeous!

6:07 AM  
Blogger dragon knitter said...

but aren't we all mad?

8:11 PM  
Blogger aija said...

Amazing, amazing! I love the shading and colors you chose.

7:10 AM  
Blogger Birdsong said...

What happy hands you are going to have this winter... the colors are great and will cheer even the darkest day.

9:45 PM  
Blogger Anne P said...

I'm not really a "red" person, but I always love what you do with that color! What fun mittens!!

7:15 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Oh, Sarah, they are just gorgeous. Wow. I love the colors. You have a genius, obviously. Thank you so much for sharing!

8:55 AM  
Blogger JQ said...

If only you could have seen me gasp and clap my hands gleefully as I scrolled down and saw those gorgeous mittens. Luvluvluvluv that you used such a pretty blue in there. Someday...I hope I can make mittens as fantastic as those!

12:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home