Wednesday, February 07, 2007

A Little Color

A bit of dyeing has occurred:

sock yarns

This is some fingering weight yarn, for socks, or fingerless mittens, or actual mittens, whatever the recipients choose. Yep, recipients as in not me, although I may have to dye up some of the blue/red combination for myself, and see how it knits up.

I wound the skeins into balls, carefully starting each so they unwound in the same color order direction. I find it disconcerting when people knit self-striping socks and pay no attention to the color order of the stripes: it's as if the stripes go down one foot and back up the other. I can't look. Sometimes it's those little tics that mark the sign of a true Virgo :).

I've also been mounting samples:

wool samples

Not much to look at as far as blog fodder goes. This is the final color combination I dyed last Fall, and turned out to be my favorite in the series of colors. I liked them so much I dyed enough handspun silk for a shawl:

dyed handspun silk

Yeah, OK, I added a dark blue/purple, just a stripe or two; otherwise I think the fabric would look too predictable. These warp chains are not on the loom yet, but they are next up. Until then, though, they will travel with me to a few dye classes.

Last: as is my habit, I occasionally run through all of the blogs on the WeaveRing. There are many new ones added recently, we're up to 60 blogs now! A very welcome surprise: Weaving Spirit from longtime weaver and friend Bonnie Tarses. Go check out her blog: lovely pictures and lots of inspiration. Welcome Bonnie! I also found Abby Franquemont's blog Abby's Yarns, full of color and thoughtful posts on spinning and her early life in Chinchero, Peru.

Sitting here in the early mornings, sipping tea and reading about weaving, spinning and dyeing, I'm so grateful that we can keep in touch, share our enthusiasm for all of this, and maybe learn a thing or two from each other. Thanks to all of you who blog, it is wonderful to read your thoughts, and see your work. It inspires me to get up from this desk, and get back into the studio :).

9 Comments:

Blogger Valerie said...

"Some dyeing has occurred..".....?! as if no effort were involved. You do such lovely work....especially with the dyes. Was the 'print' yarn dyed as knit fabric?

7:56 AM  
Blogger claudia said...

Those freshly wound center pull balls look so enticing, all ready to go like that.

1:30 PM  
Blogger Spindlers2 said...

We are containing ourselves and not starting knitting the yarn until current socks/wristwarmers are completed. Oh, and I never said, but I chose the gold - we wrestled a bit, with a kind of "After you, Cecil. No, after you, Claud" routine until I put us out of our self-inflicted misery. Truth of the matter ws we both loved both, so we are both very happy!

2:05 PM  
Blogger Marie said...

I'm loving those colors! It's so nice to see warm/neutral colors with something that makes them pop.

8:03 PM  
Blogger Charleen said...

The warp chains are really calling me. Love those colors! I may just have to do some dyeing this weekend.

8:36 PM  
Blogger Abby Franquemont said...

Mounting samples! Argh! One of those things I always, always, always blow off doing, and then later, wish I'd bothered. The colours on the silk for a shawl are really alluring, can't wait to see more!

6:40 AM  
Blogger Jackie said...

Beautiful, as usual. I agree that it is nice to keep up with what others are doing. I usually find something to inspire me.
And 60 weavers! I'll try and visit them on Sunday morning. Until then I have a hard time keeping up with reading as it is.

11:34 AM  
Blogger Bonnie said...

A friend of mine recently told me the trouble with blogs is that you write in them for a couple of months and then realize nobody is reading them. Then you just stop posting. She obviously never saw your blog:)

You continue to be a source of inspiration, however, I do understand what Jackie means about having a hard time keeping up with reading.

I am sure I will figure out lots of blog "tricks" as time goes on, but I am thrilled and delighted with this new world.

Thanks again for the inspiration!

Oh yes, a word about hand knitted socks: I wear a size 9 1/2 shoe, and will trade a horoscope necklace for a pair of socks (big toothy grin)

7:26 PM  
Blogger Birdsong said...

Ooh, such pretty colors to brighten the dull winter days.

1:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home