Friday, December 08, 2006

Runs Home to Mama

Well, thanks for all of your thoughts on the process/product dilemma. I still have not decided on *what next* in the lace knitting arena, but I am leaning toward lace in red silk(yep, Marie, great minds think alike). This means dyeing, and I'm thinking dyeing before spinning. I'm still thinking though.

In the meantime, and as a part of the thinking process, I've warped the small upright loom for a new bag:

new bag Dec 2006

I still need to tie heddles, the weaving is a few days away.

This is a way of thinking for me, setting up a loom. I have the project planned, there are blocks of time needed, and they are good blocks of time to think about the next lace (or anything else, for that matter). Maybe this is one of the reasons I cannot ever imagine giving up weaving: setting up the loom is second nature now, part of my thinking process, and I enjoy the escape it provides.

This will be a new bag (like I needed one, heh), using some new-to-me yarns for the pile. Not handspun (darn, I'd like to do another) but a commercial yarn that Duke, my teacher, used to use. I need to have a sample, and see how it works: sett, finish, # of knots per yard, and see how it holds up to wear. I'd like to recommend the yarn to people who are new to knotted pile, but are not spinners. I can't do that until I've used it, until I know how it will behave. So the bag is a sample, but the sample will also be a bag (hmmm. see last post).

So a new bag soon. The front will be a spider web design, the back another labyrinth (I might even use this one again).

I am still thinking of knitting lace (sorry Marcy, hope your head does not explode). But, like an uncomfortable child, running home to mama in times of stress, I needed a familiar process to keep my hands busy while I ruminate.

4 Comments:

Blogger Marcy said...

OW! OW! OW! OW! OW! OWOWOWOWOWOW!!!

2:37 PM  
Blogger Laritza said...

I have been looking for a Kimono pattern all over the place since I saw your Spin-Off 2001 article (I just got the magazine, not since 2001!) My sewing experience is limited to: tablecloths and placemats. I do know (or think) I have to line the fabric but other than that I have not a clue of what to do....other than my handwoven cloth IS a Kimono. What do you recommend?

7:57 PM  
Blogger Charleen said...

I love seeing all the cones lined up and ready for action! Do you use separate heddles as for the inkle loom or do you lace the heddle bar with one continous piece?

5:06 AM  
Blogger Maus said...

I want your yurt - .....
Did you look at the book "victorian lace today" ? it has a gorgeous large circular lace shawl in it that looks intriguing and a lot of fun to knit, just wonderful pattern. Don't think the picture in the book does it any justice, tho, it IS red :)

7:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home