Monday, October 09, 2006

A New Yarn Snob

The SSK met recently (Society of Subversive Knitters, a left-leaning group) and found that Sue has created a monster. Patricia and she are doing a project together, Sue is spinning the yarn, Patricia is knitting:

patricia

I think it's the Highland Triangle shawl from Cheryl Oberle's book Folk Shawls (and if it is not, I'm sure someone will correct me!).

Anyway, Patricia was out of yarn, Sue was spinning to catch up:

sue spinning

Patricia is now back on track and knitting. Sue spun like a madwoman, while Patricia tapped her fingers, and ate cookies (I think, like, 6. But who was counting?).

The fiber is a blend of wool, alpaca and silk, from Lambspun (again, I think, if not someone will let me know?)[You can see how much I pay attention! but also, there were cookies: what is more urgent, to pay attention to Sue and Patricia's project or to eat cookies?]:

fiber

Now Patricia has become a yarn snob. She wants to knit with only handspun, which is problematic because Patricia does not spin. And does not want to spin. She wants Sue to spin faster, more, and hand it over. We'll see where this leads.

Lindsey regaled us with stories of life in the outside world. Lindsey works at the library. There are always stories [hint: if you intend to die, yes, die, not dye, do not go into the library restroom, sit down in a stall, close the door, and wait for someone to find you. Dead. Yuck].

Anyway, the county had an inservice training day recently for all employees who deal with the public. Part of the inservice included techniques one can use to remain calm in the face of an insufferable client. Anyone who has worked with the public knows that there are, indeed, unreasonable and difficult people out there with whom one has to be polite. We especially liked the *name on the bottom of the shoe* technique, wherein one writes the name of the insufferable client on the bottom of one's shoe, and walks on it. Or stamps on it, as the case may be.

Sue immediately ran for some shoes:

shoes

8 Comments:

Blogger Spindlers2 said...

Speaking as a former librarian - oh, do I know customers like that! Brilliant technique, too, and the perfect candidates. Sent me on my way to bed laughing, anyway. Blair goes on the bottom of my shoes tomorrow.

2:25 PM  
Blogger Lori said...

Oh, that is just too perfect. I want to join your knit group!

4:31 PM  
Blogger Sharon said...

What good timing. The library is sending me to a Conflict Resolution class the end of this month. I'll be sure to bring this technique as a recommendation. If they don't buy it, I'll paint my own dang shoes.

9:47 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Hah! Sounds like a great group!!

5:24 AM  
Blogger Birdsong said...

What a very fun group! I loved the shoes, and will have to ask her about them next time I see her... I was one of the people asking about SOAR - it seems like I can't come on Friday night, so may still be one of the public beating down the doors to go shopping on Thursday.

12:56 PM  
Blogger Jackie said...

Might be hard for me to get some names on the soles of my sneakers, but I am nothing if not resourceful. Maybe I'll be able to write lots of teeny tiny names ;-)

12:35 PM  
Blogger Jane said...

Every time I visit and see those shoes it just cracks me up! Love knowing their are other left leaners out!

Voted early (loved that!) and hummed -- These boots are made for walkin' all the while I was using the touch screen -- voting music inspired by your post.

Cheers!!

4:33 PM  
Blogger Jane said...

Mispellings brought to you by menopause . . . :)

4:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home