Thursday, February 02, 2006

Inkling

We had another inkle weaving day, wherein we sorted through patterns, and discussed how to organize the guild display / hands-on weaving demonstration for CNCH.

We set up for various patterns, including the Celtic knot:

igor inkle2

A braid:
beryl inkle

And some simple geometric shapes:

Dee inkle

Here's the process of picking up a simple diagonal design:
First pull up the thread from below:

Sue inkle2

Then pass the shuttle in the space created (see the weft thread on the other side?):

Sue inkle
In this picture, you can see two diagonals, the lower one (right to left) of solid blue is pickup only, and other (left to right)of blue outlined in beige, is pickup and pushdown.

We decided the simple, no-pattern, make-it-up-as-you-go geometrics would be easiest to teach absolute beginners, and that we'd have another loom set up for a braid of some kind, for people who want to try the more challenging pattern:

igor inkle3

We are hoping that this inkle weaving will be the gateway drug for a few new weavers. With that in mind, we will have several looms, some from established loom makers, some home made, also backstrap, and the venerable pipe loom:

pipe band loom
(here set up for the geometric, make-it-up-as-you-go)

We want people to go away with a handout, a woven bookmark, and a sense that they can do this again, on their own. We will be set up and ready to weave on Sunday May 7th, from 2 to 4 pm, at the annual Conference of Northern California Handweavers, at the Modesto Convention Center.

Proselytizing weaving. Pushers, that's what we are. And thanks to previous comments, I know that Brandy, and now Caroline have taken the bait, hooray! (and thanks for letting me know!).

3 Comments:

Blogger Birdsong said...

What have I gotten myself into? A gang of pushers? I thought it was just a nice little fiber guild where I could meet other knitters....

10:10 PM  
Blogger bonitapita said...

Sara,
Thanks for the encouragement to "just start." I am nearly done (well, with the heddles, anyway).
I did want to tell you that I love these pictures and I am totally intrigued with the Inkle Loom. I said something to my LYS owner and she said she has one that is being threaded and will be in the shop soon. I might have to get one!
Thanks again!

8:20 AM  
Blogger Milinda said...

Yes, I am behind the curve ball in reading your blog. Actually, I just found it last week and have been catching up.

Reading this post, however, has made a decision for me. I was going to take my nieces to a music festival that weekend but I think that I NEED CNCH much more than they need to be corrupted by Celtic Rock. I bought an inkle loom at an estate sale and have been afraid to touch it. This will be my kick in the pants.

Thank you.

7:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home