Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Beginning to Change

You can probably see where this is going:

silk and ivory3

I'm knitting Leaf Lace Shawl again, I like this pattern. It's rhythmic to knit, and I can see the pattern develop, and *read* the stitches. Thanks to Sylvia for giving me that tip, it has helped me learn to knit lace.

I have knit this before, and Kiri, both of which I liked quite well. Then I knit Flower Basket Shawl, which I found less fun. There were rows in the pattern I just had to trust and follow blindly. Until I was quite a bit into the scarf, I couldn't *see* the pattern, like I could Kiri and Leaf Lace.

So here is the yarn as dyed:

silk and ivory
Silk and Ivory (silk/merino blend from Henry's Attic).

I wound this into a ball, rather than knitting straight from the fabric, because it looks so cool (and a ball is easier to haul around than a length of fabric, I expect this to be travel knitting):

silk and ivory2

You can see the color progression, even in the ball, and it's fun to watch as the colors come up in the knitting.

This is one skein, size 6 needles. I don't know how big a scarf/shawl I will get, but I can say it's luscious!

8 Comments:

Blogger Wendy said...

Yep, it's goin' gorgeous!

9:59 AM  
Blogger Birdsong said...

Oooh... what fun! Waiting to see what will happen next has gotten me through lots of knitting.

10:52 AM  
Blogger beadlizard said...

Drool...

Alfred would do one of his throaty purr thangs.

That's the definition of GORGEOUS, Sara!!!

11:58 AM  
Blogger Charleen said...

The ball of yarn reminds me of a geode. I can't wait to the colors unfold.

5:59 PM  
Blogger judy said...

This is a winner..great pattern. I love watching the yarn change. How did you make out with the heathering with the wool / silk?

7:52 PM  
Blogger dragon knitter said...

oooooo i love it! i'm gonna have to do some of that when it gets warmer (i don't wanna trash my light hardwood floors, lol). i have a usb machine, and that would take no time at all to whip out (zip, zip, zip!). hmmm, the possibilities.

i'm sorry you didn't enjoy the flower basket shawl as much. since this was my first lace project myself, i didn't know what to "read" for until i was well into the pattern, and didn't twig onto the fact that i was working it from the top down until i was binding off, lol! go check my blog, i have a post last month showing it, if you wanna see. the yarn was handpainted by a gal here in omaha.

knit on!
(and weave, i still wanna do some of htat, but no room for much beyond my box of needles, lol)

6:51 AM  
Blogger Maus said...

this is so gorgeous I'm speechless!!!!!

7:59 AM  
Blogger Monica said...

Very cool, I want to try this technique! Looking forward to seeing how it knits up.

7:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home