Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Color Conundrums

I thouught I would be further along by now, and I could show you the next new band. But alas, it is still yarn:

bandyarn

Also, the loom is still tied up with this:

braidband1

But soon! Progress is being made.

In the meantime: a discussion of color. Valerie and Maus both thought a yellow band warp would match the pile color better than the cream yarn used in the band. I'm trying a closer close up of the two together, in the hope that you can see the white (or cream in fact) color in the pile.

pile and band close up

There is a yellow band *around* the pile, which might make the whole thing read as yellow, but I still see it as white.

pile closeup

It may, perhaps, be my inability to see beyond what I think I am using, as opposed to the fresh eyes of a viewer, who sees what is. It could also be the difficulties with cameras, monitors and colors in general. Or it could be that pile color versus side-of-the-yarn color issue once again.

Anyway, I'm sticking with the cream as is for the warp. Here are two versions in the running for the pattern to be:

band pattern

The colors in the design act in the same way as stranded knitting: if you are not seeing it on the surface, it is floating underneath. The *dots* that Sylvia did not care for are a product of the same structure: they exist to capture a yarn, to prevent it from beign a too-long float on the underside.

You can see this very well in the pattern from the first band:

band pattern 1

The left side is the pattern with all the threads caught in every shot, the right side is the reduced number of dots on the surface, which is how the positive image is created (take away some, and the pattern is what is left). Random colors cannot be inserted in a line, as they would necessarily float along underneath until they appear on the surface.

So the new band, obviously a more complex design, will have dots, so to speak, and more patterning, but no blue in the pattern field. That will remain in the border.

Clear as mud? I thought so. I'm obsessed, pardon me if I assume you will be too!

Thank you for your thoughtful comments. It has given me something to think about while I work.

2 Comments:

Blogger beadlizard said...

So, no back-to-back parallel diagonal lines in the band, eh? I am truly enjoying seeing your design process, Sara. Fascinating! Buuuut, you still haven't answered about selling your bands...????? -syl

4:41 PM  
Blogger Maus said...

Yes true, I did see before that your pile has mostly the cream in it. But I would think that from the nature of the pile versus flat, non reflective versus reflective, the cream in the pile will appear darker than the cream in the flat woven band. I do like that latest orange/blue band the best ;)
Oh say, which knitting machine have you ordered? Will you do that crazy stuff with knitting up some plain loose fabric and painting it, then unraveling it to weave or knit? I so love that idea!

5:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home