Saturday, December 03, 2005

Mopping Up

Our guild has Dye Days periodically, sometimes in an organized fashion, but occasionally just a get-together to dye. My friend Lindsey has a neat trick during these events: she puts a skein or warp chain on each work table, and asks people to use the yarn for mop-ups. So anytime there is a drip or spill, we pick up the skein and mop up the mess.

Lindsey knit this scarf from 4 mop-up skeins from our last dye day:

Lindsey's scarf

Fabulous, huh? What dye technique could be easier? I neglected to ask what brand the yarn was, but this is a soft and drapey scarf in wool. Lindsey steamed the skeins after the *dye was applied*.

Here's another view:

Lindsey's scarf2

It's just surprising how cohesive all the colors are, and how much green my guild likes to use!

I have often said the prettiest thing to come out of some dye sessions is my mop-up rag. Lindsey had the very bright idea of making that a reality.

5 Comments:

Blogger Leisel said...

what a cool idea!

- Leisel
http://sagebrush.typepad.com/knotagain

10:47 AM  
Blogger beadlizard said...

The triumph of thrift once again! It's gorgeous.

12:55 PM  
Blogger LauraJ said...

I like the pattern, too.

11:33 AM  
Blogger Wendy said...

That's a very interesting idea, I'll have to try that. I like the let-it-go-taoist-serendipity-ness of it very much.

9:29 PM  
Blogger Monica said...

What a cool idea, and beautiful results!

2:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home