Friday, April 08, 2005

Done!

rug done2

Here is Peter's Rug. I finished the on-loom part this afternoon, and will tie the warp end knots this evening. It will be delivered tomorrow (not like working to a deadline, or anything).

I was surprised, when I rolled it around, to find only one central motif. Most of the rug had been rolled up in back when I got the loom, and I thought, assumed, there would be two central blocks, surrounded by the borders. I guess because the Mass at St. Giles version, the inspiration for this rug, has at least two center blocks.

This is nicer, in my opinion, than one with two blocks would have been. Two seems an unbalanced number, to my Western eyes, for a center section. One, three or five, any odd number, seems more appropriate, somehow.

The loom this rug was woven on is too big for my studio (the yurt). It is 8 feet tall, for one thing (the side walls of the yurt are 6 feet), and it leans against the wall for support (the yurt has no walls per se). So the loom and rug have been living in the garage, an unheated and no power garage. I've been alternately freezing and sweating to get this done, and could only work in good daylight hours. Today, I had no choice, I had to work. Thankfully I had the extra light glowing off the *snow* which fell all day! Yep, snow, in April, in California. Claudia? How did you do this?

snowyurt2

6 Comments:

Blogger claudia said...

/begin wild and evil cackling/

Karma is such an evil bitch. As of 7:25 PM it was 54 degrees out.

/end wild and evil cackling/

Seriously, now. That rug is beautiful. Good on you for finishing it.

4:48 PM  
Blogger judy said...

I am in awe!

4:55 PM  
Blogger Charleen said...

Sara, that is so beautiful. You did a wonderful job finishing Peter's work. I'm sure his sister will be so grateful.

Snow? That's crazy. I had the window open and the fan on in school today.

6:42 PM  
Blogger Valerie said...

The most striking thing to me about the picture of the rug is that the centered medallion appears to be spinning. I think that would have been lost if there were multiple medallions.

Beautiful work....you were so kind to finish it for Peter.

7:19 AM  
Blogger Marcy said...

Nice yurt. Needs some decoration, though.

8:36 AM  
Blogger ifthisistuesday.wordpress.com said...

What a wonderful thing you've done by finishing this piece for your friend. It's beautiful.

Q: What are the blue strips along the sides? Some kind of hems?

2:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home