Wednesday, March 02, 2005

On the Loom

I warped this today, and started weaving:

weaving 2

Handspun cashmere warp, wool weft. This is the same cashmere as my fingerless mittens and the knitted hat, except this is a two ply, since I intended it for weaving. The spinning was done over a year ago, the warps were run and dyed, just waiting for their rotation to the head of the queue.

When I am done, I will have a cashmere *set*: mittens, hat and scarf, sort of a fifties retro gift box kind of thing.

The wool weft is not as soft as I would like. It will do, it just doesn't do justice to the cashmere. I tried an alternate weft (and turned up the lighting):

weft experiment

handspun merino, 3 ply, space dyed, left from another project. But I didn't like it. Yes, it was softer, but with the color in the weft it became too *plaid*, not me. Also, it obscured the painted warps, and the blotchy area (how attractive a description that is), which I dyed intentionally by braiding and dipping the warps in dye.

Since I know the hand of the scarf will soften with washing, and the cashmere will assert itself, I'll weave on with the wool. In a perfect world, I'd have a cone of cashmere weft. Ah, well.

3 Comments:

Blogger beadlizard said...

Lovely, absolutely lovely. I've found cashmere really does come up on the surface with a wash and a bit of wear.

Could you please post a photo of your hands wearing your fingerless mittens? I am curious how much of your knuckles you've chosen to cover.

1:03 PM  
Blogger claudia said...

Yup, I really don't see you as a plaid kind of grrl.

7:16 AM  
Blogger Sue said...

Very pretty! I really admire your color sense.

11:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home