Thursday, January 27, 2005

Dyeing is Life

Yesterday:

white silk


Today:

dyed silk

I love to dye. I especially like to dye yarn. This is two bombyx bricks, soon to be joined by 3 others, to become a silk shirt. I thought the Roosevelt dime was a nice touch. If it becomes a Reagan dime, I may have to stop using dimes. And nickels are so heavy.

These were dyed with Lanaset dyes: mostly magenta, violet and mustard. The warps chains are painted, and there are two skeins dyed a solid color. The remainder of the warp chains will be a combination of solid colors.

My dye work space is less than ideal. I dye outside, on a covered back porch. It is connected to the laundry room by a door: the table, scale and steamer are outside, the sink and shelves of dye are inside. The door swings the wrong way: when it is open, the sink is behind it. I am constantly opening and closing the door, but when I am in the Dye Trance state, I hardly notice it.

I have had better workspaces, but that did not necessarily mean I did better work in them. It's just a matter of getting in and doing the work, no matter what the surroundings. When that trance state happens, I'm not looking around anyway: I am happily mesmerized by the colors.

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Great - we would love to have your company even if it is in spirit only!

O.K. Sara hand over the silk-OMG! I still haven't dyed- can you imagine that?? There are so many things I want to do when school is done and I am just working. My ideal plan would be pt tech and have time for cheese making and fiber. Won't get to put that plan in place until we move though.

Loved the comment about the dime-

Have a great day!

8:26 AM  
Blogger Sue said...

That is absolutely glorious. Beautiful spinning! Gorgeous colors! Can't wait to see the shirt this becomes!

10:03 AM  
Blogger dragon knitter said...

that is the most beautiful thing i've seen all day (next to my little boy's smile(well i guess he's not that little, he's 10, lol). i need a drool proof cover for my keyboard. i can't wait to see the shirt!

7:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home